Confusing words in English
Words in English language are not as easy as they look. There are some that just confuse us and makes it difficult to have a conversation. Look at the list given and know the difference between these words.
English is full of confusing words. You may have spelled it correctly but might have used the wrong word. Below are some words that are commonly confused and misused and this article is here to help you out!
- Dessert and Desert - Dessert is a sweet dish, while Desert is a hot, dry place full of sand.
- Accept and Except - Accept means to agree and Except is to exclude something.
- There and Their - There is an adverb of place which shows about where something is whereas Their is a possessive pronoun which shows belonging.
- Principle and Principal - Principles are beliefs while Principal is the head of the school or a main thing.
- Advice and Advise - Advice is a noun and Advise is a verb. So, you can advise someone by giving them a good advice.
- Affect and Effect - Affect is a verb and Effect is a noun. Affect is to make a difference and Effect is a change which is a result of an action.
- Breath and Breathe - Breath is a noun and it is the air that goes in and out of your lungs. Breathe is a verb and it means to exhale or inhale.
- Disinterested and Uninterested - Disinterested means impartial whereas Uninterested means bored or not wanting to be involved.
- Emigrate and Immigrate - Emigrate means to move away from a country to live in some other place and Immigrate is to move into a country.
- Farther and Further - Farther refers to physical distance and Further refers to metaphorical distance.
- Inquiry and Enquiry - Both mean to request information. Inquire is used in American English and Enquire is used in British English.
- Who’s and Whose - Who’s is the contraction of Who is and Whose is possessive pronoun which shows belonging.
Learn to use these words in your everyday spoken language and even in your writing. Practice these words by understanding their meanings.
|contraction||shortened form of the word|
|possessive pronoun||pronouns that show something belongs to someone|
Ten most beautiful words in English
English might be confusing and for some people even difficult. But it is also a language with many beautiful words. Here are some of the words in…Continue reading
30 most commonly used idioms
Understanding English idioms might me tricky. But here is a list of commonly used idioms to help you understand their meanings as well as use them…Continue reading
Must read books by Ruskin Bond
Reading is an important part in everyone's lives. If you are wondering how to start with reading and cultivating a habit, then you are in the right…Continue reading
Important words and phrases in Marathi (For beginners)
Learning a new language can be difficult. But with constant practice and learning it can be easy. Starting to talk in the language you are trying to…Continue reading
Tips to improve your spellings
Writing in English is as important as speaking. To learn to write correctly might seem like a difficult task. There are always some tips that you need…Continue reading
Active Voice and Passive Voice
This article will help you understand the difference between active and passive voice and make your written and spoken skills of language better.Continue reading
Difference between Voice and Speech in Grammar
English learners may get confused between the use of these two topics and end up making mistakes. Read this short article to help yourself and improve…Continue reading
Direct and Indirect speech
Knowing how to use direct and indirect speech in English is considered important in spoken English. Read the article below and understand how to use…Continue reading
Types of nouns
Nouns are the largest group of words in any language. Understanding them and using them correctly while learning the language is considered very…Continue reading
Ways to improve your spoken English skills
Improving spoken languages might seem as a challenge. But, with proper guidance and tips, it is not too difficult.Continue reading
Read these basic rules that would help improve you writing style and make it a little more formal.Continue reading